Saturday, July 12, 2008

Waffles

I used to be one of the people that always used boxed mixes for pankcakes and waffles. But I have come to realize that the ingredients are some I always have on hand and much cheaper. So this recipe from The Joy of Baking website has become a go to. I love making a simple berry syrup for waffles and pancakes. The recipe is nothing special but I included it anyways. I went to a breakfast buffet with Dale and my Grandmother Evelyn a few months ago. I decided to get some waffles. It became a silly adventure. The waffles were served right next to the beef carving station. So I poured on what looked to be syrup, nope it was Au Jus. YUCK. Attempt two... They had whipped cream. I honestly couldn't remember ever having whipped cream on my waffles. Boy was it good. So I splurge sometimes and make some whipped cream to serve with the waffles. Today I noticed a frozen vanilla cool whip in the freezer that someone had brought over once, I figured that would work, but obviously to real thing is better.

Waffles

1 cup (140 grams) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup (240 ml) milk
2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted

I added these in too
2 tsp of vanilla
1 tsp of cinnamon

Berry Syrup

2 cups of frozen mixed berries (cooked in the microwave for about 3 minutes, they cook down to a bit over a cup)
1/2 Cup of Pure Maple Syrup

Mix together

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks fabulous... and waffles are always better with whipped cream! :)