Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sundried Tomato Basil Risotto

I have made risotto a few times and just love it. It is time consuming, but well worth it. And I have learned you can walk away here and there and the risotto will still turn our wonderfully. I have followed Giada's recipe for Basic Risotto from her "Every Day Italian" Cookbook all the times I have made it. So I followed that and made a few additions.

4 Cups Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth (Heat to a simmer and set aside)
3 TBS Butter (1 TBS mixed in at the end)
3/4 Cup finely diced Onion (I used a red onion)
1 1/2 Cups Arborio Rice
1/2 Cup Dry Red Wine
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
3/4 Cup Chopped Sundried Tomato
1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Basil

Melt 2 TBS butter in a pan. Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the rice and mix with the butter and onions. Add the wine and simmer until the wine is almost absorbed. Gradually add chicken broth about 1/2 Cup at a time. Stir constantly until the broth is almost absorbed before adding the next. When all the broth is almost absorbed add the sundried tomato and basil and continue to cook for about a minute or two. Remove from the heat and add the parmesan cheese and the butter. Stir all together and serve immediately.

I served this on top of new york strip steak pieces that we had leftover.

This was so so good. I am so glad to have leftovers (without the steak). I may have to have some more later since we ate such an early dinner.

1 comment:

Ally said...

That sounds delicious! I have been missing risotto lately. Damn diet.