Thursday, March 13, 2008

Beef Barley Meets Wedding Soup


So I had some ground beef out thawing. I wasn't sure of the way I would go. I wasn't interested in a pasta and meatloaf just wasn't cutting it for me. So I starting thinking of beef barley combos. Most of the beef barley soups use stewing beef and not ground beef. I didn't want a chili type dish either. So I thought that making a barley soup and using the idea of wedding soup, with mini-meatballs would be the best way to go.

Meatballs
1.5 lbs of Ground Beef (I only get super lean)
Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1 egg (beaten)

Mix all together and form into mini-meatballs and set aside

Soup
All soups I make (and most people make) start this way

1Tbs Butter, 1 Tbs Olive Oil
Add the butter and oil to a heated dutch oven (medium-high heat)


1 1/2 Cups of Diced Onion (I used a red onion)
1 Cup Diced Celery
3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 Cup Diced Carrot

Add the onion and simmer for a minute or so and then add the celery. Let these cook for about 5 minutes. Add the S&P, Garlic and Carrots and sautee everything for about 10-15 minutes.

6 Cups of Chicken Broth
1 Cup of Water
1 Cup of Pearl Barley

Add the above ingredients and let the soup come to a little boil and simmer for about 45 minutes.

I am still learning how to use spices. So I added the following in various amounts until it achieved the right flavor.

Dried Basil, Salt and Pepper, Penzey's Italian Herb mix

Heat a large skillet with 1 Tbs Canola Oil
Cook the meatballs until lightly browned.
Add the meatballs to the soup and cook another 10-15 minutes.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sounds delicious Stephanie..good call:D