Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Turkey 101

We get turkeys from work for Thanksgiving every year. It is hard to use it up right away because of balancing family and everything. So I tend to keep it stored away for another day. Since I doubt cooking a turkey will be on my my "fun list" for too much longer I decided to tackle it this weekend. The turkey I cooked for Thanksgiving last year was the first I brined. I was amazed how much more flavor there was in the bird. So this is a must with turkey. After brining for 24 hours I placed the bird in a cooking bag. Using a cooking bag is a great idea. It cooks faster and helps keep in tons of the juice. I used a generous amount of Montreal Chicken Spice Mix all over the bird and drizzled with a bit of honey. It cooked at 350 for about 3 hours.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Awesome... turkey in September! I'll have to check out that brine mix. :)