Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Eat to the Beat!! Part 1

So I decided to participate in the blogging event "Eat to the Beat".
The song that came to mind was "Put the Lime in the Coconut" By Harry Nilsson. To listen to this song check out YouTube. This song has a lot of memories for me. I will age myself by saying this, but whatever. In college my roommate had a mix tape (yes tape) called the "100 Proof Mix". This was one of the songs on the tape, which was full of great, classic "drinking songs". Too funny. (I am not THAT old, 1998 graduate).


So what to make with Lime and Coconut??
I thought of two ideas and decided to try them both.
1. Coconut Shrimp with Tequila Lime Marinade
2. Coconut Lime Cupcakes

I couldn't find any recipes for either that I wanted to try. So I had to improvise a bit. I have done a tequila lime marinade and made coconut cake previously so I had a good idea of what I was looking for.

Coconut Shrimp
18-20 Raw Shrimp, peeled and deveined, tales on

Marinade
1 Lemon (juice and zest)
1 Lime (juice and zest)
1/3 Cup Tequila
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 Tbs Olive Oil
(Marinade for 30 minutes- 1 hour)

Preheat Oven to 425
1/2 Cup Flour
1 Egg
1/4 Cup Beer
1 Cup Coconut

Beat the egg and mix with the beer. Prepare a dish with flour, one with the egg mixture, and one with the coconut. Roll in the flour, then the egg, then the coconut and place on greased cookie sheet. Spray with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes. Serve with the dip. Enjoy.


Dip
1/4 Cup of Mayo
Juice and zest of 1/2 a lime and 1/2 a lemon
1 Tbs Honey
1 Tbs Tequila

No comments: